This article is for information only and doesn't call for any action.
Egg white is used for tightening and toning skin. It works for greasy skin by shrinking large pores on the skin surface, thereby reducing excess sebum. Large pores are also potential breeding grounds for bacteria that cause bulbous zits and cysts, which means pore-tightening egg white can help reduce acne.
Additionally, egg white contains an ingredient known as lysozyme, an enzyme that kills acne-causing bacteria by digesting their cell walls.
Egg white has been used in face mask recipes since ancient times, especially in Asia, to achieve beautiful radiant skin. You can make a mask with egg white alone, or you can add in other powerful ingredients to provide more nourishing benefits to your skin.
Here are three simple, skin-friendly egg white face masks, coupled with other valuable kitchen ingredients, for healthy, blemish-free skin:
1. Acne-Busting Egg White Face Mask
This pimple-fighting face mask has three powerhouse ingredients that you can find in every kitchen. It’s simple to make and super inexpensive!
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and lemon juice until the mixture becomes frothy. The lemon juice masks the odour of the egg white. Add ½ teaspoon of honey and stir well.
- Wash your face with warm water to open up your pores. Using clean hands or a cotton ball, apply the mixture onto your face, avoiding the sensitive areas around your mouth and eyes.
- Relax yourself as you wait for the mixture to settle and dry on your face. You can lie down and breathe deeply, thinking happy thoughts!
- Keep the mask on for 10-15 minutes. When the mixture has completely dried on your face, gently scrub it off using warm water, tackling all areas of your face in a circular motion. Pat dry with a towel and marvel at the smooth feel of your skin!
- When applying the mixture, work upwards from your chin to your cheeks and then to your forehead using a gentle circular motion.
- Avoid the sensitive areas around the eyes and mouth. The skin in those areas is drier and, if stretched by this tightening mask, can become wrinkled.
2. Skin-Lightening Egg White Face Mask
Pamper yourself with this skin-lightening egg white face mask. This recipe uses turmeric, a root herb that has amazing skin-lightening properties that help even out the discolorations and dark spots caused by acne!
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Place the egg white and orange juice in a small mixing bowl and whisk until it becomes frothy.
- Add in turmeric powder and mix thoroughly. Make sure the mixture is not too drippy.
- Using clean hands, apply the mixture to your face and massage in a circular motion, allowing it to sink deep into your skin. Keep it on for 15 minutes while you lie down to prevent gravity from pulling the mask downward.
- When the time is up, gently scrub off the dried mask from your face and apply moisturizer. A perfect natural moisturizer is 3-4 drops of olive oil.
- Wear an old t-shirt over your clothes to prevent yellow stains from turmeric, which can be quite hard to wash off.
- This egg white mask can be quite drying, so it’s best to apply olive oil to your skin after washing it off.
- Refrain from talking or smiling with the mask on because stretching the tight skin may cause wrinkles to appear.
3. Hydrating Egg White Face Mask
Who says egg whites are only for those with oily, acne-prone skin? This hydrating egg white mask is great for people with dry skin, too! It contains potent ingredients such as avocado, a food packed with numerous vitamins and healthy fats, which are perfect for hydrating and moisturizing your skin to make it supple, soft, and smooth. The egg white will feed your skin with nourishing nutrients such as protein and riboflavin.
- 1 egg white
- ¼ ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
- Using a fork, mash the avocado until it turns into a lump-free paste.
- Add the egg white and yogurt and mix well.
- Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your face with clean fingers and sit for about 15 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with lukewarm water when the time is up, and pat your face dry with a towel. Enjoy the look of your moisturized skin!
- Use a ripe avocado so that it is easier to mash it into a lump-free paste. You can also freeze, then thaw it before mashing to make things easier. If you have a blender, use it instead of a fork to quickly and efficiently blend the avocado into a lump-free puree.
- Use plain, unsweetened yogurt with live cultures when making this face mask.
- To avoid a drippy mess, ensure that you apply the face mask over your bathroom or kitchen sink.
Other habits will help improve the quality of your skin and possibly reduce wrinkles. Choose cosmetics that contain sunscreen to protect the skin from UV damage. Moisturize often, because one affect aging has on the skin is drying. Diet rich in vitamins A, C, B3 and E may also help reduce wrinkles. Studies are inconclusive about the effect of nutrition on the skin, but a healthy diet keeps you feeling your best and improves your overall fitness. If you develop any irritation from the mask, this may be an indication of an allergy or sensitivity to the egg white. Discontinue use of the mask if it causes a rash or acne breakout.